Fund Your Project
The Foundation for Conservation of Atlantic Salmon (FCAS) is an independent, federally incorporated, non-profit organization, which was established through a one-time grant of $30 million from the Government of Canada. The interest generated from investment of the grant is used to support activities related to the conservation of the wild Atlantic salmon and its habitat.
The goal of the Foundation is to help achieve healthy and sustainable wild Atlantic salmon stocks in Atlantic Canada and Quebec through partnerships among volunteer conservation groups, Indigenous organizations, governments and others.
NOTE (specific to the annual applied science research Request For Proposal):
Updated information for the Request For Proposal is available here.
Who can apply?
- Non-governmental organizations (e.g. community-based conservation organizations, cooperatives, watershed-based organizations, etc.)
- Education institutions
- Indigenous Organizations
Note: Partnership among these groups are preferred.
Eligible Project Categories
- Development of salmon and salmon habitat conservation plans for a watershed or sub-watershed (watershed planning)
- Conservation, rebuilding and restoration of wild Atlantic salmon and salmon habitat
- Restoring access of wild Atlantic salmon to salmon habitat
- Public education and awareness of the importance of conservation of wild Atlantic salmon and its habit
- The proposed project must be located in a watershed within the provinces of Québec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland and Labrador.
- $1.5 million will be available for the 2024 round of grants for projects within Québec and the Atlantic provinces. Submissions for individual projects should not be less than $5,000 nor exceed a maximum of $50,000 (per year).
- Interprovincial funding applications are no longer being accepted by FCAS except in response to a specific Request for Proposals.
- Applied scientific research projects may be submitted under any of the provincial streams, however, going forward a maximum of 20% of available grant funds will be allocated to research initiatives. Taking multi-year projects into account, this may mean that limited funds are available for new research projects in some provinces. To inquire about specific provinces, please contact the FCAS office (NB & QC: firstname.lastname@example.org; PEI, NL, NS, & SAC: email@example.com).
- Proposals for the 2024 funding year will be accepted until Friday, November 17th at 5pm AST.
If you are unable to download the application documents, or are having trouble filling in the forms, please contact a project coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or call 506-455-9900.
All forms from New Brunswick and Québec can be submitted directly by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All forms from Newfoundland, Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island can be submitted directly by e-mail to email@example.com.
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. If you do not receive a confirmation, please call 506-455-9900 to ensure your proposal has been received.
The total length of your written application must not exceed 15 pages including support materials and budget spreadsheet. Please note that the budget spreadsheet typically coverts into 2 pages for best legibility. Materials in excess of 15 pages will be excluded.
2024 Application Forms