Restoring endangered inner Bay of Fundy Atlantic salmon to the Petitcodiac River watershed
The project objective remains continuation of, year over year, higher levels of increasingly wild and fit salmon inputs being realized (fry releases and adult returns) into the Petitcodiac River watershed. Exciting project momentum and increased in-river salmon biomass is being achieved. Project benchmarks are being met laying the groundwork required building towards the long-term goal of restoring historic numbers of salmon to this once extirpated river. Project activities will include:
- Live Gene Bank (LFB) un-fed fry releases to Petitcodiac watershed.
- Install and monitor counting fences on Pollett and Little Rivers.
- Capture out-migrating smolt and apply mark/re-capture protocols.
- Transport smolt to Dark Harbour Fundy Salmon Recovery (FSR) marine conservation farm.
- Install/ maintain antenna detection array on Petitcodiac tributary.
- Conduct juvenile assessment surveys via electro-fishing.
- Conduct adult salmon enumeration snorkel survey(s).
- Release FSR adult salmon to Petitcodiac.
- Release non-target LGB adults to Petitcodiac.
- Collect fall parr for overwintering at Mactaquac Biodiversity Facility (MBF).
- Public outreach and engagement.