Eel River Recovery Project
Recipient: Eel River Bar First Nation
Approved Amount: $20,000
Year Approved: 2015
The project will implement the fin-fish recovery plan for the Eel River.
The following are program activities proposed for 2015.
- Carrying out activities in the River Recovery Plan (stock the river with Salmon, conduct fish surveys, collect data on habitat conditions, monitor adult fish on the Eel River system);
- Determining recovery targets for abundance (working with Bill Hooper of Watershed Technologies;
- Purchasing and installing streamside incubation tanks for restocking purposes;
- Restoring access of wild Atlantic salmon to salmon habitat- removing large woody debris and garbage found on the four main branches of the Eel River;
- Releasing fry from the Fish Friends Program- educating and involving the students of local schools;
- Conducting information sessions/workshops designed to inform the public about the importance of salmon conservation and to engage the communities in the ongoing management of the watershed and its fisheries resources;
- Tree planting along the Eel River.
Contact: Sacha LaBillois, 506-684-6286, email@example.com